Poetry. Net Trawlin'. Recipes. Pictures. Stories. Linux. Lifestyle.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Philip Marlboro interviews Sam Prekop

The Sea and Cake frontman Sam Prekop has just released his second solo album, Who’s Your New Professor. It fits perfectly into his catalog of soulful tropical jazz-rock, a sound he has been cultivating since the mid ’80s when he was in the latin-jazz/folk/soul/southern-rock-influenced Shrimp Boat. Aside from making music, Prekop also paints. Some of his pieces contain simple geometric shapes on canvas that have been said to resemble cityscapes.

PM: I was living in Santa Cruz when I really got into your first solo album. I could relate the mood of the music to a pleasant, coastal California atmosphere. I've been listening to Professor a lot while I’ve been here in London, and find it to work in perfectly as I travel in and out of the crowds. I know that location and climate play a big part on my interpretation of the music as a listener, but what role do they play when the music is being composed?

SP: I don’t know, because I usually compose the music in a tiny little room with hardly even a window. The actual location doesn’t matter as much. I can’t compose the music for people listening in different places. I know what you mean, though. I love to listen on the bus. I like the idea of people listening to music in the world and how the world affects it.


Continue reading here

No comments: